Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Holiday

I had it all planned out. You ever look forward to something so much that you play it out in your head and sometimes even on paper. I was going to get a 4 day pass. 4 days to see my wife and my son. We decided to meet in Mobile, AL. She flew there, and I drove there to meet her, it is only about an hour and a half from here so not such a long trip.

I was thinking of all the things that you would imagine we would do together. Walks on the beach, nice quiet dinners, some quality alone time... You get the picture. My wife and I have been married for 11 1/2 years now, all of that time it has been just us. Just us in a small, small, small apartment near the St. Paul campus, just us in a nice place near the Minneapolis campus, just us together in Philadelphia. We have learned to rely upon one another for companionship and we also "own" each other's time. There is a certain expectation there that we have for each other, and expectation that we will take the time for each other.

So this 4 day pass would be no different, we got the time and we would be together so let loose the together time. Oh I forgot to mention one thing; had a baby 3 months ago. Babies take a lot of time, and they don't seem to care if it is not their turn for attention. Even if you were just paying attention to him, if he wants your attention he will make sure he gets it.

So our walks on the beach included some feeding and diaper changing, our quiet dinners well they were a little shorter than they usually are, and our quality alone time well lets just say we were never really alone. I must admit that even though I was so glad to see Anne and Connor, I began to resent him just a little. I remembered when I used to be the center of my wife's attention and I liked it that way.

The Lord has interesting ways to show us just how selfish we really are. I remember when I first got married I woke up one morning and saw my beautiful bride, my first thought was "boy am I lucky to have such a great wife," my second thought was "Hey! Hey that's my shirt I was going to wear that today." My selfish heart has now turned on my son and the object we are fighting for is his mother. When we got to the hotel and I saw my little boy my first thought was, "wow the Lord has really blessed me, he has given me this awesome little boy to look after," my second thought was, "Ok little guy go to sleep and let me have some time here with MY bride."

The boy wakes up every few hours, I do not know why parents ever have more than one child. It seriously is like a hardcore form of torture. I am grateful that my wife is there to take care of him and I do feel bad that I have left here all alone to deal with the parenting for this first year. I think she wants to have more just so I can experience the joy of parenting first hand.

I really enjoyed my pass, and I wouldn't trade the time for anything. The boy is trouble on a stick, but I miss him already. He was a constant pain in the @$$, but man what I wouldn't give to have him here right now. My wife, I don't know how she does it. She has a lot on her plate and yet she is able to function. I love you honey thanks for coming to see me. I miss them both, they are what makes 12 months seem like a lifetime.

As much as I like to believe that the Lord has squeezed all the selfish juice out of me, it seems like there is always more that will come out. It would appear as if I still have much more to learn about selflessness.

7 Comments:

Blogger The E Family said...

I saw a photo in the Pionees Press that a huge unit in Shelby was moving out. Is that you guys? It was front page of the MN paper!

Also, I am so completely ready for my selfish nature to lose out in a few of my battles in life. I eagerly await the day when my selfishness will be no more but until then I will echo Paul's words "What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!

Hang in their.
Matt

10:53 AM  
Blogger Roland said...

I like the post. I could say so many things. Instead...

Hahahahahahahaha!

Now you know where I am!

Hahahahahahahaha!

12:31 PM  
Blogger Chaplain Luken said...

Yes, the group leaving from Shelby is my group. Well there are 4000+ of us so to call it my group is a bit of an overstatement.

And to the rest of you.

Stop laughing....

I mean it....

I said stop...

Now you are just doing that on purpose.

8:34 PM  
Blogger Chaplain Luken said...

Yes, the group leaving from Shelby is my group. Well there are 4000+ of us so to call it my group is a bit of an overstatement.

And to the rest of you.

Stop laughing....

I mean it....

I said stop...

Now you are just doing that on purpose.

8:34 PM  
Blogger Roland said...

I will laugh behind my sleeve. I am glad that you have joined the ranks of those who want to be selfish and are not always able to be.

:'D

9:19 PM  
Blogger Judy Schletty said...

Hi Todd, Your 4-day holiday brought a smile to my face. However,I bet it was a tad exaggeration for your reading audience. I know wee ones change your lives, but all for the better. Sometimes I wish I had that experience, so I'd know more about the sacrifices my family made for me (and still do). Since my cousin's son-in-law is just heading back from Iraq this week, I wrote my aunt to see what prayers she said for him, so we can say them for you.
Thanks again for your interesting website which pulls at our heartstrings and gives us more of a reason to pray. Love, Judy

1:01 AM  
Blogger Judy Schletty said...

Hi, Grandma Lil told Randy that you are in Germany now and then on your way to Kuwait. I just received a note from my aunt because I asked her if she had any special prayers she said when her granddaughter's husband was in Bagdad. Aunt Agnes said that she just offered up her daily Mass for her granddaughter's husband and doesn't know any special prayers "for our servicemen who are over seas." Since I don't always have the time to go to daily Mass, I told my aunt that I would offer up my good works for you without complaint!
I hope all is well with you, Anne and your little one. Love and prayers, Judy

11:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home