Saturday, March 25, 2006

23 hours, 6 movies and 7 meals

Anticipation was high as we were about to leave. Everyone was excited and anxious about what it would be like "over there." Up until now the longest flight I have been on was the flight I took in the early 90's to England. On that flight we watched a movie and we were afforded the luxury of having 2 meals on the plane, well this flight was a little longer. 6 movies and 7 meals 8).

I don't have much to say about our flight except that it was long and also that foreign airports are very different. The smoking section for one was a tad different. There was not a smoking section per se, there was a non-smoking section. The rest of the airport was free game for smokers. And, the gift shops were a little odd as well; lets put it this way, In a PG forum I cannot tell you what all was in those gift shops, but some of it was pretty funny.

It also felt so strange to have everyone so greatful for out service. I guess it is something I never really will get used to but, we got so many thank you's and such that I literally cannot recount them all. I am glad that people are so greatful and it makes me wonder just what they are thinking about when they express themselves. Are they thinking of their family growing up in a safer world, or are they just glad that it is not them? Just something that makes me wonder.

It is hard to wrap my head around the fact that I am so far from home. 23 hours on a plane and I am literally almost half way around the world. I have been far from home before, but this is so different from anything I have ever experienced. I am certian I will find my way here and I pray that God will direct my paths in the way he would want me to take His ministry.

I have been meditating upon my own mission here and I have come up with a way to express what I am thinking. It comes out of fear of failure maybe, or just a sudden realization of our situation. Here goes; It saddens me to know that soldiers come over here and purchase freedom for the Iraqi people with their blood, and yet die in their sins. It is my mission to ensure that every soldier I come in contact with has some concept of eternity. Some clue about what is in store for them in the next life, before the leave this one.

It looks like for the next little while I will have better computer access so I will be posting more often. "En Shallah" Lord willing

Chaplain Luken

1 Comments:

Blogger Roland said...

Physical distance is the only thing that separates you from those who love and care about you.

11:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home