Tuesday, April 18, 2006

What do I do?

Day 11. My wife reports that people like to ask her what I do all day. So this is what I have been doing lately.
A little something called RIP/TOA. The Army has acronyms for everything.
Rest in place/Transfer of Authority.

As a Squadron we are taking over the "job" of the unit which just left. What I have been doing lately is following the chaplain who was here before me around. He showed me where everything is located, he showed me all the "important" sites, and he walked me through some of the things that he did. He also gave me a file of things that were useful to him.

At the moment I am still accelerating into position. I am meeting with people to find out where everyone will be on a day to day basis so I can find people to talk to. I am making contacts with other chaplains that are on the base with me. I am still learning my way around post.

The first thing I learned to find was my headquarters building. Gotta know where that place is located or I miss out on a lot of information. Second thing is a tie between the main chapel on post and the best dining facility. Who am I kidding it was the dining facility hereby known as the DFAC. The DFAC is great, too great for a fat guy like me. I try and resist all the good food there. Mostly I have been living off of grilled cheese sandwiches and applesauce. mmmmmm. I have also learned to like this stuff called rip fuel, it is basically sugar, caffeine and some vitamins thrown in to make it sound like it is good for you. I am not much of a coffee drinker, but one of these babys in the morning is all the breakfast I need. Lastly I am slowly learning to find the different places where the commanders and first sergeants hide. Important to know cause they know where all their troops are.

So a typical day so far (and this will probably change, at least I hope it will) I get up and do the whole shave, shower, brush thing. Go to a meeting, oh wait I forgot drink rip fuel, then go to a meeting. After the meeting I have breakfast if I am hungry and there is time. Next I have appointments set up with people that will help me make a more permanent schedule. Then lunch, usually grilled cheese mmmmm grilled cheese. After lunch I go to work out, anything from lifting weights to some form of cardio.

Then it is shower and get ready for counseling appointments in the afternoon. In an organization this size you can bet there will be somebody with issues on any given day. Hasn't disappointed me yet. Then I plan to do some work on Sunday's sermon and plan out some programs for the guys. I am planning some bible Studies that still need work to get going and these guys are super anxious to get a bible study going. Wow. I am also working on petitioning different agencies for bible study materials. If you know of anyone who could help us out that would be awesome shoot me an email. I am thinking of doing "every man's battle"

Next it is time to call home. I like to call at about the same time so I know she will be home. After all this I find someone to go to evening chow with me. I spend the evening talking with people and finally end up in front of a computer screen talking to ya'll.

I will probably do a "What do I do?" update when things change around some. Hopefully I will be able to include some of the fun activities next one.

Later

2 Comments:

Blogger Judy Schletty said...

Hi Todd, Went to a great breakfast at Grandma's Living Springs Church on Easter and then to Mass at St. Williams parish where I ran into a girlfriend and her family. We sang the song, "For the Beauty of the Earth" and these words from the song seemed apropros for your blog when Ann asked what you do. "For the beauty of each hour of the day and of the night, hill and vale, and tree and flower, sun and moon, and stars of light. For the joy of human love, brother, sister, parent, child, friends on earth and friends above, for all gentle thoughts and mild. For each perfect gift of thine to the world so freely given, graces human and divine, flowers of earth and buds of heaven." We wait to greet you in prayerful hope! Amen.
God bless, Judy and Uncle/bro, Randy

8:50 AM  
Blogger Roland said...

Every Man's Battle would be an excellent study.

I sent you a package, no sheets or games, but let me know when you get it. :)

7:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home