Friday, May 19, 2006

Procrastination makes perfect

Day 41. Wow 10 days since last post. I saw that Bane had 85 posts last month wonder how he thinks of so much stuff.

Well I am sitting here thinking of anything I can do to avoid finishing this week's sermon. I don't know why I do it, but I do find it very annoying. Sometimes I am just easily distracted I guess. OK so much of the time I am easily distracted. On the bright side I did get my office cleaned up and my books have never been more in order.

This week I spent most of my time visiting the troops at work. I am getting better at finding them wherever they work. I even went out on a patrol to see some of the guys I hardly ever see around. I was supposed to go out again today but that got SNAFUed. I have had some of the usual chaplain crisis', Relationship problems, work problems and just people missing home. One guy said that this place was good for him mostly because we are not allowed to drink here.

I have been working on creating a time and a place where people come to just hang out after work, or before work depending upon how you look at it. A few guys come by almost everyday just to pick on the guitar (I know at this point Diff is thinking, "Hey what did the guitar do?".) To which I have been getting better at playing. I hope to play well enough when I get home to have some worship times with friends at my home. At the moment I am somewhat limited on space due to a finite amount of room in my office. Well the problem of limited space will potentially be solved tomorrow. One of the guys is going to build me a porch; it will not be air conditioned, but plenty of more room. It is not always easy to find everyone so I thought one good way to minister to them would be to get them to come to me.

This week also saw a cool landmark. We get mortored here almost everyday. Fortunately a vast number of them are way off course. Well one that was potentially on course got shot down the other day by our air defense guys. Hooray for them. Other good news is that we caught the buggers shooting the thing. So it was like a double play day for our guys.

Well I had better get to finishing this week's sermon. I am currently in Judges. We are taking a trip from Genesis to Revelation. I am not sure if we will make it all the way to Rev yet, but we will see.

4 Comments:

Blogger Judy Schletty said...

hi todd, good to read your most recent post. i often think about how difficult it must be to write a sermon every week and not have your parishioners fall asleep. from the sermons i have heard you give, i like the way you often tell a little story first. our pastor does that, so now i know a little more about his family. i know his mom couldn't speak english because they were from puerto rico. then his folks eventually moved back there, after living in chicago for quite a few years.
randy and i went to a bible study class thru his church and i remember getting a lot out of genesis. brought back some memories from my school religion classes. must get ready for the day. i get a lot of emails from cousin jeanne. recently she wrote that she'd like to run for some political office. God bless. love, judy and uncle randy

9:49 AM  
Blogger Roland said...

If your passion for helping others and spending time with them isn't a sermon in itself, I don't know what is.

Thanks for the encouragement, Todd.

And to echo what Dif was already thinking, "What did the guitar do?" ;)

1:48 PM  
Blogger Judy Schletty said...

hi todd, yes, i agree with roland's last post. and that should remind all of us that Jesus gives a command to his followers to be an example of love and service to others. the christian league for the handicapped banquet last night was great and glad my elderly parents were able to join us even though i know the driving for them in rush hour traffic must have been nail-biting. but as mom would say, "don't dwell on what could have happened or our driving mistakes. we got there." i pray our boys have the same attitude, despite any close calls. and i know all of us are praying for peace, peace in our hearts, our world and our universe (from the world peace prayer). God bless and keep you. love, judy and uncle randy

8:54 AM  
Blogger Sack said...

The deck looks great!

4:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home