Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Its cold out today

Woke up shivering today. It seems weird being in this place and being so cold but it reminds me of home. Might have something to do with the roommates setting the AC so low, but it is cold outside as well.

We have entered the rainy season in earnest. It rained a lot last night and that makes the place smell different. A body gets used to a certain amount of dust and bad smell in their lungs and when that is gone; well it is just different. It brings out another smell not unlike when you get a dog wet and they smell entirely different. Or maybe it is because I do not have the dust clogging up my nose every second of the day that my sniffer still works.

Cut my finger on the table saw day before yesterday. Let me tell you it is not all the fun and games people tell you it is. All I can say is that it could have been much worse. I pretty much made hamburger out of the tip of my index finger but nothing more. I was so mad and embarrassed. The medics did a fine job patching me up. I got four stiches and a lot of guff. My pride suffered as much as my finger did. I plan on getting the last laugh and using it for a sermon illustration somehow but nothing yet.

So far it is business as usual. Got my new assistant last week. He is from the Bronx, his name is SFC John Duffy. I just call him Duffy. My last assistant SGT Cowell came down with bad knees and needed a job that was easier on his knees. So far Duffy and I are getting along nicely. I wasn't too excited about the change at first; guess that happens when you get older (not excited about change) but things are turning out better than I expected.

Said goodbye to a couple of good friends this week. SSG Rosenfeld and SPC Gonzales were regular attendees at my chapel services and seriously hardcore prayer warriors. I will miss them both dearly they were an encouragement to me when I really needed it. Several nights we tarried in prayer together praying against the spiritual darkness that blankets this side of the world. They really taught me something about prayer.

We often use prayer as a last resort or as an after thought to our day but not these guys. Prayer is their first option. They are quick to pull the chord on the prayer line if they are having a bad day or just feel like something is up we would get together and pray. I could use more of that kind of belief in my life. I have thanked God every day for them since they first showed up in my service and I am sure that wherever they end up God will use them to do great things.

5 Comments:

Blogger Nic said...

It's always hard to say goodbye to those who we know have our backs, especially when part of having our backs means that they pray for us, with us and for others.

By way of introduction I am dating SPC Grosz from RSTA 1-167 B Troop. I felt very keenly your last post b/c I know it is only by the grace of God that Dan was not in SSG Hansen's place in the accident. When Dan and I started dating I prayed for God to protect him and keep him safe and in answer the Holy Spirit led me to Psalm 121:7-8 and I knew that though Dan might go through some times over there that God would not let his life be taken. It's still hard though to know how close he came to being a casualty over there. It's just another testimony to me that God is watching over him.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know that there are a lot of people over here praying for y'all over there. God bless!

6:30 AM  
Blogger Chaplain Luken said...

Well hello Nic I talked to Dan yesterday. Praise God that he has someone who will be able to help him through this time in his life. The Lord's protecting arm is evident in his life. I pray that He continues to watch over him and bring him home again to you.
Thank you for your prayers.

2:07 AM  
Blogger Judy Schletty said...

dear todd,
good to hear from you, even though you're half way across the world. went to a church dinner last night with uncle randy and brought along my dad. we sit at a table with a 97-year old. he was too old to fight in world war II and asked my dad if he had been too old to serve in that war, too. dad said that he had been drafted in world war II and named all the places he had been. was a surprise to me, as i just thought he spent his whole time in new guinea. reminded me of a retirement-aged lady who used to bake pies for a friend's restaurant. she said this to me one time, "i learn something new every day." hope your finger is healing and thanks for your recent post. we keep you in our prayers, pray for peace, and hope our families are managing in your absence.
we are all connected to each other as members of the Body of Christ including the communion of saints in heaven.
God bless, judy and uncle randy

10:02 AM  
Blogger Nic said...

I am so glad that Dan is talking to you. He is a really amazing Christian man, a true answer to prayer, and my fear is that lately he's been slipping into a depression, kind of a delayed reaction, from the accident. But the email that I got from him last night and this morning had the most upbeat tone to it from what he has been sending over the last 3-4 weeks.

If you need some prayer in a specific area or for a specific thing, please let me know. I'd be happy to add it/them to my prayer list. :)

7:04 PM  
Blogger Roland said...

Good to see another post.
Talked to Hans and your wife a couple of days ago.
Good to see them both.
When you come back, I might be persuaded to go to the Source with you.
Conner is a great kid. I hate that you have to miss him.
Sorry that some are leaving, but glad that others come to take their place.
Glad that you're still posting and reaching those who need it.
In Christ,
Ronald Duck ;)

11:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home